When you think of “traditional camp foods,” what comes to mind? Probably s’mores and hot dogs, right? If that’s the case, then maybe it’s time to throw something new into the mix. Many campers stick with typical camp foods because it’s what they know, but you can easily branch out and create a whole new menu with the right cooking kits like the Outdoorsman and these three camping recipes.
1. Chicken Kebabs
Swap out those hot dogs and hamburgers for a healthier alternative. With lean meat and veggies, chicken kebabs make healthy eating easy!
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- herbs de Provence (or any of your favorite spices)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 green peppers, sliced
- 3 red peppers, sliced
- 6 Vidalia onions, quartered and separated
- 1 pint baby portabella mushrooms
- 12 bamboo BBQ skewers
- Put the chicken pieces, olive oil, garlic cloves, and spices into a large ziploc bag. Marinate overnight.
- Soak skewers in water overnight while chicken is marinating.
- Arrange your chicken and veggies on the soaked skewers.
- Sprinkle kebobs with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 2 minutes on each side, turning three times.
2. Baked Apples
Sick of eating s’mores every night? Try using apples to make a deliciously sweet dessert instead.
- 4 large baking apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins
- 1 tbsp. butter
- After washing apples, remove apple cores, making the hole about 3/4-inch wide. Dig out seeds with a spoon.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and pecans in a small bowl. Then stuff each apple with this mixture.
- Wrap apples in aluminum foil and set in coals, baking for 15–20 minutes.
3. Lemon Dill Grilled Fish Filets
Going fishing on your trip? If you have a lucky day, take advantage of the fish you catch and use it to make lemon dill grilled fish filets!
- 4 cleaned fish filets
- 1 lemon, sliced in half
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. dry dill
- pepper for taste
- olive oil
- 4 foil sheets
- Use olive oil to grease bottom of foil sheet and place fish filet on top.
- Sprinkle each filet with pepper and 1/4 of the salt and dill.
- Use half your lemon and squeeze juice over fish. Slice the other half into rings and then place the rings on top of the fish. Drizzle olive oil over fish.
- Fold sides of foil and tightly seal.
- Place foil packets over smoldering coals for 3 minutes, then flip and continue cooking for 3 more minutes.
- Remove foil from fire and wait 5 minutes before eating.
Leave a Reply