During a camping trip, you’re typically left with fewer options when it comes to food. That doesn’t mean, however, that you have to eat the same unhealthy meals over and over again. With the right cooking gear and these healthy camping recipes, you can be a little more creative when preparing meals so your tastebuds don’t suffer.
Oatmeal with the Works
Instead of just frying up bacon or breakfast potatoes, start your day off the right way with a healthier, energizing meal. Serves 10 (serving size = 1 cup).
- 6 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup tart dried cherries
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts
- At home, combine oats, apricots, cherries, and brown sugar in a large bowl and store in container.
- At the campsite, add water (3/4 cup per serving) to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Then stir in oatmeal mix (3/4 cup per serving).
- Remove oatmeal from heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until water has been absorbed. Add toppings and enjoy.
Vegetable Campfire Hobo Packets
This recipe is perfect for both vegetarians and those who just want to eat healthy while camping. Serves 4.
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight container to pack.
- When you’re at the campsite, tear off 4 large sheets of aluminum foil.
- Toss your vegetables and place a pile of veggies in the center of each foil sheet.
- Fold foil over vegetable mix and make sure the edges are sealed.
- Cook packets over coals for 20 minutes.